I bought this fabric on sale because it’s green… and embroidered… and striped. How could I resist? I got the end of the bolt and there wasn’t enough for a robe à la francaise, so I decided to use it for my very first robe à l’anglaise. I really like the shepherdess look that was popular during the 18th century, so that’s the look I went with.
I didn’t really like the peach silk I chose for my petticoat and zone front. Something about the sheen of the silk made it look very rumply no matter how much I ironed it. It is also not entirely opaque so my black quilted petticoat was showing through it. I ended up having to make an extra white underskirt to hide it.
On the plus side, I love how the dress looked when it was all put together! The trim was a lot of fun to make, and I am especially proud of the hat that I did entirely on my own. (Usually Judy helps me out a ton with my hats.)
I’m sure my next l’anglaise will go much faster now that I have all the underpinnings and a fitted pattern, so time to plan more!
First Worn: Photoshoot 2016